Berry nice cream is a 5 minute homemade healthy ice cream recipe. It's made with frozen bananas and berries, so is ready to eat immediately. There's just 3 ingredients, and it's sugar free, dairy free, low fat and low calorie. You don't need an ice cream maker, and there's no stirring and no churning. It's creamy, smooth, healthy and delicious!
What is 'nice cream'?
Nice cream is a kind of instant ice cream. It's made using fruit which is already frozen, so there's no need to freeze the ice cream after you've made it. There's no churning required, and no need for an ice cream maker.
Most nice cream recipes have a base of frozen banana. The addition of a banana adds loads of creaminess as well as natural sweetness. You won't really notice the flavour of banana against the fruity flavour of the berries. And you don't need cream or sugar to make nice cream so it's ideal for a healthy dairy free treat.
This kind of instant ice cream is called nice cream because it tastes delicious, and is 'nice' for your body.
What you'll love about the recipe
- Healthy berry nice cream is a refreshing, easy summer dessert
- Instant ice cream which is ready to eat in 5 minutes
- Packed with berry goodness, this healthy nice cream recipe is a healthy alternative to 'proper' ice cream. It is crammed full of the goodness of low sugar, high fibre summer berries. Berries are a super healthy choice of fruit, packed with nutrients such as vitamin C and other antioxidants
- Low in fat, no added sugar and low in calories. This summertime treat is also gluten free, dairy free, paleo and vegan if required. Berry nice cream is an easy way to make healthy dairy free ice cream which still tastes creamy and indulgent.
You can use whatever mix of berries or soft fruits that you like. Either freeze them yourself, or purchase a bag of mixed frozen summer berries. Fruit such as strawberries or blueberries will result in a sweeter nice cream, blackberries or blackcurrants less so. If your sugar free ice cream does end up too tart for your taste, you could add a spoonful of honey or maple syrup.
Of course bananas, one of the most popular fruits in the world, are also very nutritious. They are also a great source of fibre, plus a number of important vitamins and minerals. If you've got any bananas that are starting to go black, slice them up and freeze them so that you can use them for nice cream, smoothies and other recipes.
A spoonful of yogurt will loosen the mixture a little so that it is easier to process. Any kind of unsweetened yogurt will be suitable, so you can keep the ice cream dairy free or vegan if needed. The yogurt is completely optional, so leave it out if you prefer, especially if you have a high powered blender. You could also use a splash of milk to loosen the mixture if needed.
How to make healthy berry nice cream
You will need a food processor or blender to make this no churn berry nice cream. But other than that, this recipe is very easy.
All you have to do is simply blitz the frozen banana and frozen berries together, along with a small amount of yogurt to help loosen the mixture.
Depending on how powerful your food processor is, you might need to stop and scrape it down a couple of times. The frozen fruit will become chopped, and then it will start to break down into a smooth mixture.
Keep going until the texture is completely smooth and creamy. This low calorie frozen dessert is now ready to serve!
- The banana should be fully ripe, as it will make the berry nice cream creamier and sweeter. Ripe bananas should be deep yellow, with black blotches beginning to appear on the skin. Even if the skin is starting to go quite black, they should still be suitable
- To freeze the banana, peel and slice into discs, and spread out in a single layer on a tray. Freeze for a couple of hours or until solid.
Storage and serving
Berry nice cream is ready to be eaten as soon as it is made. But if you want to prepare it ahead of time, place in the freezer and remove it 5 or 10 minutes before you are ready to serve. Use a wet (not hot) spoon to scoop out the nice cream from the container. If you prefer you could also freeze it in single servings.
Other healthy summer fruit recipes
Other summer berry recipes that you might like to try include healthy summer pudding, summer berry crumble and summer berry jellies. You can also make a quick healthy 10 minute jam with a bag of frozen summer fruits.
Frequently asked questions
I'd be lying if I said that this healthy dairy free nice cream tastes exactly like a full fat, full sugar dairy ice cream. But honestly, the texture that you get from frozen banana is incredibly creamy. And if you are adding a strong flavour such as berries, the banana flavour is incredibly subtle. So I'd say it tastes very similar to a soft scoop ice cream - try it and see for yourself!
Yes it is. This banana berry nice cream recipe is very low in added sugar and fat. And it's packed with the goodness of berries which are super nutritious.
Yes. Not only is berry nice cream delicious, but there are only 68 calories in a serving:)
Yes. If you've got leftovers, or want to make nice cream in advance, just transfer your healthy ice cream to a freezer proof container, and pop it in the freezer. Take it out of the freezer to soften for about 10 minutes before you are ready to serve.
Have you tried this recipe? Please leave a rating and/or comment at the bottom of the page. Your feedback and questions are much appreciated.
You can also follow me on Pinterest and Facebook. Or subscribe to the newsletter to receive delicious healthy recipes straight to your inbox.
Healthy Berry Nice Cream
- Food processor or blender
- 250 g frozen summer berries
- 1 banana, sliced into discs and frozen
- 3 tablespoon natural yogurt, dairy or non dairy optional
- Blitz the frozen berries and frozen banana in a food processor until starting to break down and turn creamy. Add the yogurt if using and blitz again.
- Serve immediately, or if you prefer store in the freezer. Remove from the freezer 5 - 10 minutes before serving.
Please note nutritional information is per serving and is provided for guidance only.