This healthy iced coffee is my summertime morning pick-me-up. Made with skimmed milk, it's got plenty of protein and minerals and it's ready to drink in less than 5 minutes! This delicious iced coffee recipe has a foamy top, similar to an iced latte.
What you'll love about the recipe
- This healthy iced coffee recipe is made with just 2 everyday ingredients and is ready to drink in less than 5 minutes
- Low calorie iced coffee with a rich, creamy whipped top. If you like a latte, you'll love this frothy light iced coffee
- Skinny iced coffee has no added sugar, and is low in fat
- A good source of protein, vitamin B12, calcium, potassium and magnesium (read more about the health benefits of drinking milk.)
- At just 20 pence per serving, homemade iced coffee is much cheaper than a Starbucks!
Instant coffee granules. Although I usually make my coffee with ground beans, instant coffee works brilliantly in this recipe. You can use decaf or regular coffee to make instant iced coffee.
Chilled skimmed milk. When combined with instant coffee, skimmed milk makes a creamy dense foam. You can use milk with a higher fat content if you prefer, but you might be surprised how good this iced coffee tastes with skimmed milk. It's important to use milk that is chilled if you want to be able to enjoy your cold coffee straight away.
Ice - to serve
How to make healthy iced coffee
Use a tall jug to froth the foam for this iced coffee so that you don't get splashed!
Add the instant coffee to the jug with 50ml of the chilled milk. Froth with an immersion blender or milk frother. The coffee will dissolve quite quickly and the milk will start to foam.
Spoon the whipped coffee into a serving glass. Top up with the remainder of the chilled milk.
It's best to serve healthy iced coffee immediately with some ice. Although it's fine to leave it for a few minutes, if you make the coffee too far in advance, the foam will start to disappear.
Frequently asked questions
You can make cold coffee one of 3 ways.
1. Make hot coffee and leave it to cool.
2. Make a strong hot coffee and cool quickly with ice.
3. Make the coffee with cold liquid. You can either cold brew coffee for several hours, or whisk instant coffee into cold milk.
This healthy iced coffee recipe is simply sweetened with the natural sugars in dairy milk. However, if you want more sweetness, you could also add some cinnamon, honey or maple syrup. You could also add a little vanilla extract, or add a sugar alternative such as stevia.
Yes. Although we're used to frothing milk when it's hot, it also froths really well when cold. Often cold foam has a sugar syrup in it, but in this sugar free recipe, the milk is frothed with instant coffee.
Other healthy drinks you might like
Have you tried this recipe? Please leave a rating and/or comment at the bottom of the page. Your feedback and questions are much appreciated.
You can also follow me on Pinterest and Facebook. Or subscribe to the newsletter to receive delicious healthy recipes straight to your inbox.
Healthy Iced Coffee
- immersion blender or milk frother
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 200 ml skimmed milk chilled
- ice to serve
- Add the coffee granules to a tall jug and pour in 50ml of the chilled milk.
- Blitz with an immersion blender or milk frother until the milk has dissolved and the mixture is foamy and frothy.
- Pour the whipped coffee into a serving glass. Top up with the remaining chilled milk.
- Serve with ice.
Please note nutritional information is per serving and is provided for guidance only.