These gluten free chicken goujons are made using gluten free bread. The tender chicken pieces have a crispy coating, and they are a great hit with adults and chicken alike. Think healthy chicken nuggets! Ready to eat in 30 minutes, these baked chicken goujons are perfect for an easy mid week family dinner.
What's to love about the recipe?
- These gluten free chicken goujons are baked in the oven to make them healthier and lower in fat
- The crispy coating keeps the chicken super moist and tender
- Using simple, everyday ingredients, this gluten free chicken goujons recipe is very quick to make
- The easy breadcrumb technique is mess free, and there's no need to flour the chicken
Chicken breasts. You can also use chicken tenders (tenderloins), chicken fillets, chicken strips or chicken fingers which are all made from boneless breast meat. I used 2 chicken breasts which weighed about 300g - a generous portion for 2 or smaller portion for 3.
Gluten free bread. I've got to admit, I don't really enjoy eating gluten free bread, but it makes great breadcrumbs as it falls apart so easily. (It's also ideal for gluten free bread sauce or sage and onion stuffing!)
Egg. One small egg will be enough for the recipe. A coating of egg is what will ensure that the breadcrumbs stick to the chicken!
Salt and pepper - good seasoning is essential in this recipe.
For cheesy gluten free chicken goujons you can add a couple of tablespoons of grated parmesan to the breadcrumbs.
How to make gluten free chicken goujons
Make your gluten free bread into breadcrumbs. It's easiest to do this by blitzing the bread in a food processor or blender. If you don't have a blender, either break the bread up with your fingers or chop it with a knife.
If using whole chicken breasts, cut them into slices about 1.5 cm thick. Keep them roughly the same thickness so that they bake through evenly. If you've got chicken tenders or chicken strips, just cut through any that look thicker than this.
Crack the egg into a sealable box (a plastic sandwich box is perfect!). Beat the egg with a fork, then add the chicken and give it a good mix so that the chicken pieces are thoroughly covered with the egg.
Add the breadcrumbs and a generous pinch of salt and pepper to the box and seal with the lid. Then shake the box until the chicken goujons are well coated with the GF breadcrumbs.
Spread the breaded chicken fillets on a lightly greased tray and bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes.
Serving and storage
Serve the healthy baked chicken goujons hot with some mayonnaise, healthy hollandaise or low sugar ketchup for dipping. You could pop some roast sweet potatoes and carrot in the oven at the same time. And leeks and peas make a great vegetable side dish.
Meal prep tips
You can make up these healthy oven-baked gluten-free chicken goujons ahead of time. Breadcrumb the chicken strips and leave them covered in the fridge for up to a day.
Breaded chicken can also be frozen. Open freeze the pieces on a tray, and when frozen transfer to a sealed bag. If you want to cook the breaded chicken from frozen, allow an extra 6-8 minutes cooking time. Cut one of the goujons in half to check that it is cooked through.
Frequently asked questions
Although many recipes dredge the chicken in flour before adding egg and breadcrumbs, I find it's not necessary. Shaking the egg coated chicken with the gluten free breadcrumbs gives a perfectly good coating, and they come out crisp and delicious. It's much simpler and less messy!
Chicken nuggets and goujons are both chicken with a crispy crumb coating. However, nuggets are often made from chopped and formed chicken rather than high quality breast meat.
No, not unless they are specifically labelled gluten free. Chicken goujons are generally dredged in wheat flour and coated in wheat based breadcrumbs. Wheat contains gluten.
Yes, a number of brands in the UK sell gluten free chicken nuggets, and they are readily available in the supermarkets. However, I'd suggest you give this gluten free chicken goujons recipe a go. They are very quick and easy to make. You'll have a better quality of meat and far fewer additives:)
Other gluten free chicken recipes
You might also like these other healthy gluten-free chicken recipes - they are all easy to make using everyday ingredients.
Have you tried this recipe? Please leave a rating and/or comment at the bottom of the page. Your feedback and questions are much appreciated.
You can also follow me on Pinterest and Facebook. Or subscribe to the newsletter to receive delicious healthy recipes straight to your inbox.
Gluten Free Chicken Goujons
- lidded storage container
- baking tray
- Food processor useful but not essential
- 300 g chicken breast
- 1 small egg
- 75 g gluten free bread
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees (180 fan). Lightly grease a baking tray.
- Blitz the gluten free bread into breadcrumbs (no need to remove the crusts) in a food processor or blender. You could also crumble the breadcrumbs with your fingers, or chop the bread finely with a knife.
- Slice the chicken breast meat into strips approx 1.5 cm wide.
- Add the egg to a storage container with a lid and beat with a fork until the yolks and white are mixed.
- Add the chicken strips to the egg and stir until well coated.
- Add the breadcrumbs to the box and put on the lid. Shake until the chicken is coated in the breadcrumbs.
- Tip the breaded chicken goujons onto the greased baking tray and cook in the preheated oven for 15 minutes until crisp and golden.
- 300g of chicken makes a very generous portion for 2 hungry adults, it'll easily serve 3 - 4 children.
- If liked you could add a couple of tablespoons of grated parmesan to the breadcrumbs for a cheesy chicken goujon. Herbs can also be added - fresh parsley, dill or thyme all work well.
- Uncooked breaded chicken can be stored covered in the fridge for up to a day before baking. It can also be frozen.
Please note nutritional information is per serving and is provided for guidance only.