This lovely spiced carrot and swede soup is warming and delicious. It's packed with flavour, and a great way to get two of your five a day. Perfect for a healthy lunch or starter.
What you'll love about the recipe
- It's quick and easy to make
- Carrot and swede soup is vegan, gluten free and packed with antioxidants
- Made with budget friendly ingredients
- The recipe is great for meal prep and freezes well
- This spiced soup is warming and comforting
- Family friendly - the spices add flavour rather than heat
Why is it healthy?
This carrot and swede soup is super healthy:)
- Low in fat with only 79 calories per bowl
- An easy way to enjoy two portions of your Five A Day
- The fibre in swede, carrot and onion will help you stay feeling full and benefit your digestion and blood sugar levels
- A good source of vitamins A, C plus some B vitamins
- An excellent source of beneficial minerals including potassium
- Although used in tiny amounts, spices also have powerful health benefits including antioxidant and anti inflammatory effects (source)
Carrots and swede. You don't need to be too precise about the measurements of each of these, especially if you are using up leftovers!
Onion, red or white. You could also use a leek instead if you prefer.
Olive oil, or another healthy cooking oil
Cumin, coriander and ginger. Either use ready ground spices, or grind the cumin and coriander seeds in a mortar and pestle. If you prefer, use fresh grated ginger rather than ground ginger. You could also substitute these spices for a tablespoon of mild curry powder if you prefer. Or if you'd like the flavour of your soup to be hotter, add a little chilli powder.
Stock. Use whatever type of stock you prefer. Although fresh stock is delicious, a stock cube will also work perfectly well. I used vegetable stock but you could also use chicken for a non vegan option.
How to make spiced carrot and swede soup
Saute the onions and spices in the olive oil over a medium heat. This browning process will add an extra layer of flavour to your soup.
Mix in the carrot and swede, then add the stock. Cover with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
Blitz the soup until smooth. I like to use a hand blender so that I can blitz the soup in the pan (less washing up!). You can also use a blender or food processor if you prefer.
Taste and adjust the seasoning at the end.
Serving and storage
Serve carrot and swede soup hot. If you like, swirl through some cream or yogurt, and add a few crunchy seeds or crispy roasted chickpea snacks.
If you make the soup in advance, you can store it in the fridge for up to 3 days and it reheats really well. You can also freeze it in airtight containers.
Frequently asked questions
Cook your soup covered with a lid. It's more energy efficient as you'll be trapping more of the heat in the pan. You'll also stop the liquid evaporating. However, if you've accidentally made your soup too thin, you can simmer it with the lid off to help reduce it down to a thicker consistency.
Some soups and stews taste better the next day as the flavours mellow and meld together over time. I find this is particularly the case with this spiced carrot and swede soup as the flavour of the spices becomes softer and more rounded. But it's also perfectly delicious on the day that it is made!
Whilst you'll need to store leftover soup in the fridge, it's important that it is left to cool first. That's because warm or hot foods that are put in the fridge can raise the fridge temperature and risk food poisoning.
Other comforting soup recipes
You might also like to browse other healthy soup recipes
Have you tried this recipe? Please leave a rating and/or comment at the bottom of the page. Your feedback and questions are much appreciated.
You can also follow me on Pinterest and Facebook. Or subscribe to the newsletter to receive delicious healthy recipes straight to your inbox.
Spiced Carrot and Swede Soup
- Blender or food processor
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 300 g swede peeled and diced (1cm cubes)
- 300 g carrots scrubbed and diced (1 cm cubes)
- 750 ml stock vegetable or chicken
- seasoning to taste
- Heat a pan over a medium heat and add the olive oil. Fry the onion and spices for 5 minutes until starting to brown and soften.
- Add the carrots and swede and stir the ingredients together.
- Pour over the stock and cover the pan. Simmer for 20 minutes until the vegetables are soft. Check occasionally that the vegetables aren't starting to stick to the pan.
- Blitz the soup until smooth. You can either use an immersion blender in the pan, or transfer the soup to a food processor or blender.
- Taste the soup and add seasoning if necessary. Serve hot.
Please note nutritional information is per serving and is provided for guidance only.