This healthy courgette soup recipe is light and low calorie, and yet deceptively creamy. It's a great way of adding some extra veggies to your diet.
Courgette soup (also known as zucchini soup) makes the most of courgettes when they are in season, or when you have a glut in your garden. (In my experience you can go from zero to a glut in days!)
This healthy recipe is made without cream and is dairy free, but as the courgettes cook down and are blitzed with the stock, they naturally produce a really creamy texture. (You might also like this apple and celery soup which is dairy free and low in calories.)
Healthy courgette soup is very quick and simple to make. Courgettes are super easy to prepare. Don't peel them - not only is it quicker, but the skin contains healthy fibre and adds a pretty speckled colour to the soup. Other than preparing an onion and blitzing the soup, there is little else to do:)
Courgettes naturally contain a lot of water, but they are also rich in vitamins, minerals and fibre. (See 12 health and nutrition benefits of courgettes). Fibre is a really important element in your diet which aids digestion. This simple courgette recipe also contains onions which are nutrient dense, and a great source of antioxidants. Garlic and nutmeg both add flavour, as well as valuable plant compounds.
If you can use homemade stock, your soup will be even healthier. Using your own stock means you can control the seasoning and eat less salt. Bought stock is absolutely fine though, just make sure you check the seasoning before adding more.
Of course, if you don't want your soup to be vegan, you could also switch in chicken stock or a homemade bone broth.
This recipe uses healthy olive oil to cook the onions and courgettes, but feel free to switch in coconut oil if you prefer.
Recipe tips for healthy courgette soup
- Fry the onions separately before adding the courgettes, to add extra depth of flavour
- If you have a hand blender, blitz the soup in the pan to cut down on the washing up. Otherwise, a food processor will do the job, but is a little messier
- This easy courgette soup freezes perfectly. So make up a few batches whilst courgettes are in season
This recipe has a light delicious flavour, and it's a very kid friendly soup. But it's also easy to ring the changes, especially if you have a large supply of home grown courgettes:)
- Herbs. Both basil and mint go brilliantly with courgettes. Just add a handful of roughly chopped herbs before you blitz the soup.
- Courgette and pea soup - Adding peas will make the soup slightly sweeter, and they also add protein. Peas are also a great source of iron and B vitamins.
Frequently asked questions
Absolutely not. As well as being a time saver, leaving the skin on will add more fibre to your soup. Just give the courgettes a quick rinse, and then slice them up.
Yes, this recipe is perfect for using up overgrown marrows. You will need to peel the marrow, as the skin is much tougher and won't break down. Cut away the central area and discard the seeds (or save them to grow a crop next year!).
If you have a glut of courgettes, then it's possible to freeze them. Once frozen, they do tend to lose some of their texture, but they are still perfect to use in this soup recipe.
Yes, this recipe is ideal for freezing. Once it's cool, place in a freezer proof container with a lid and freeze for up to 3 months.
Other courgette recipes you might also like:
Have you tried this recipe? Please leave a rating and/or comment at the bottom of the page. Your feedback and questions are much appreciated.
You can also follow me on Pinterest and Facebook. Or subscribe to the newsletter to receive delicious healthy recipes straight to your inbox.
Healthy Courgette Soup
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 400 g courgettes diced
- 1 clove garlic peeled and very finely chopped or crushed
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- salt and pepper if needed
- grating of nutmeg or use ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place a large saucepan over a medium heat, and fry the onion in olive oil for 5 minutes. They'll start to soften and turn golden.
- Add the garlic and courgette, and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and nutmeg, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Blitz until smooth with a hand blender.
- No need to peel the courgettes - it saves time and is better for you.
- Check the seasoning before adding extra - stock often provides sufficient.
- Perfect to make ahead, and freezes well.
Please note nutritional information is per serving and is provided for guidance only.