Roast cauliflower and sweet potato is one of those dishes that you really need to taste to believe how good it is! It's such a simple combination, but delivers delicious, rich, comforting flavours. And of course, it provides you with a healthy two portions of veg. (Whilst white potatoes don't count as one of your five a day, sweet potatoes do.) See https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/5-a-day-what-counts/. It takes minutes to prepare, and then the oven will take care of the rest:)
Health benefits of cauliflower
Cauliflower is a member of the brassica family, along with broccoli, cabbage and kale. Like other brassicas, it is jam packed with vitamins and minerals. In particular, it is high in unique antioxidants which can help to reduce inflammation, and protect against the risks of several major diseases. It's also a delicious vegetable. If you've been put off previously by boiled cauliflower, give this roast version a go!
Recipe tips for roast cauliflower and sweet potato
- Spices: feel free to play around with the spices. The turmeric and cumin add depth of flavour. If you'd like the flavour to be spicier, you could also add some chilli powder. Or if you prefer, replace the separate spices with the same quantity of curry powder
- I also add the cauliflower leaves to the tray when I bake this. They will go crisp, with a slightly smoky flavour, but keep an eye on them so they don't burn. The leaves are also very high in nutrients.
Because this recipe delivers so well on taste, it could take over other flavours on the plate. I'd therefore suggest serving it with something plain. I love it served with flatbreads and this simple two ingredient hummus, as a light veggie meal. But it would also complement a simple main meal such as baked fish, lentils or pork.
Roast cauliflower and sweet potato is delicious warm straight from the oven, but it is also just as tasty served cold. It could be a scrumptious accompaniment to a barbecue, or a summer salad.
For more easy, tasty ideas on how to add more vegetables to your diet, check out this post.
Roast Cauliflower and Sweet Potato
- 1 cauliflower
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the vegetables. Remove the outer leaves from the cauliflower, and chop off the chunky part of the stalk. Then separate the florets. I'd suggest that you also cut some of the florets through the stalk as it's best to have bite size pieces. Include some of the cauliflower leaves if you like. Cut the sweet potato into 2 cm squares, I leave the peel on. Add the olive oil, spices and seasoning to a large bowl. Add the chopped cauliflower and sweet potato, and stir to mix and coat the vegetables. You may want to do this in batches to make it easier.
- Spread the vegetables out on a baking tray. If necessary, use 2 trays so that there is some space around the veggies for them to roast properly. I use a reusable baking sheet on the tray to make clean up easier, but it's not essential.
- Roast in a preheated oven at 170 degrees for around 30-40 mins. The vegetables should be a rich golden colour and yield easily to the point of a knife.
Please note nutritional information is for guidance only