Turkey Bolognese is a healthier take on a traditional beef Bolognese sauce. It's a great alternative when you are looking for a healthy, easy recipe for a weeknight dinner. It is rich, comforting and delicious.
This Turkey Bolognese recipe includes haricot beans and spinach. This increases the amount of fibre, vitamins and minerals in the dish. In total, each portion of the Bolognese sauce provide 2 servings of vegetables. Adding extra veggies also means that you'll be eating slightly less meat. (See here for more tips on how to include more veggies in your diet). I use frozen spinach in this recipe as it is quick and easy and I usually have it available. But if you prefer, you could use fresh spinach.
Generally, minced turkey contains lower levels of saturated fat than minced beef. However, some minced turkey has 7% fat, and some minced beef has 5% fat. So if you are concerned about the levels of saturated fat that you are eating, read your labels carefully.
Ready in 30 mins, Turkey Bolognese can easily be substituted in other recipes where you'd use minced beef. Try it in healthy cottage pie or gluten free lasagne. Or for an even quicker alternative, simply serve with some wholemeal rice, pasta and/or veggies.
If you don't have or like Worcestershire sauce, feel free to leave it out. But don't forget to add some seasoning in it's place.
Turkey Bolognese can easily be prepared ahead of time and stored for a day or two in the fridge. It also freezes perfectly.
- 1 large onion peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large carrot grated
- 500 g minced turkey
- 1 clove garlic peeled and very finely chopped or crushed
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce certified GF if required
- 1 teaspoon mixed dried herbs
- 200 g frozen chopped spinach or use fresh
- 400 g canned haricot beans
- Place a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the olive oil and fry the onions for a few minutes.
- Add the turkey and garlic and stir over the heat for a few minutes.
- Add the carrot, tomatoes and puree, Worcestershire sauce and herbs, cover and simmer gently for 20 mins.
- Add the spinach and haricot beans and mix well.